Sunday, October 2, 2011

Big changes on the job front

Many of you may already know that for the past year and a half or so, I was working at a job that, quite frankly, I despised.  Money was tight and our situation was growing grim, so when the opportunity came along I took the job with the following caveat: I would only work there until I was able to find something else, and then it would be over.  A year and a half went by, with application after application, and not so much as a callback for an interview.  The ones that did call me back never so much as sent a "no thank you" letter.

I knew that one way to improve my worth was to get my class A license (essentially, a license to drive a tractor-trailer), and there was only one way to do that in my case.  It would require me going over the road for at least a year to not only get the experience most employers are looking for, but to enable me to pay off the school loan at a reduced rate.  I waffled over this decision for a long time, and in August, after another in a string of hellish days at the old job, took the plunge and made the call.

Three weeks of training to get the license and operate the trucks, and I now have a class A CDL.  I am awaiting assignment to a trainer to spend the next five weeks on the road.  I am nervous and excited, and I am  ready to start a new chapter in my life.  Given that I just turned 44 on Friday, I don't think I have a lot of pages left, and should get to continuing the story as best as I can.

At some point this week, I'll be setting off across the United States, driving hither and yon and learning about my new trade.  I'll update when I can.

1 comment:

  1. You make it sound like you have 6 months to live! Sheesh... the way I figure it, for better or worse, you're likely about halfway to the finish line, buddy... But..."work life" you may be 20 or so years from "the end"...

    And now that I've been all grim on you, I'll wish you safe travels!

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?