Thursday, November 24, 2011

If It's Thursday, today must be Thanksgiving

Today, all of America celebrates Thanksgiving Day, a day to gather with family and/or friends and reflect on the year past and all that one has to be thankful for in the year ahead.   Sounds nice, doesn't it? In truth, it's a day to eat way too much food and fall asleep watching football.  Some of the more ambitious of the clan will organize and pre-plan the shopping extravaganza of tomorrow with all of the skill and cunning of a seasoned military veteran.

Unlike most of the civilized world, I will not be spending any time at home, nor will I be with any family, friends or loved ones.  I am spending my day in a truck stop thousands of miles from home, eating whatever food I can get at whichever nearby restaurant I choose to visit.  Tomorrow, I get to pick up another load and head back across the country yet again in what seems like a never-ending cycle of loneliness and depression.

As much as I would like to tell myself that I knew what I was getting myself into when I started this mad merry-go-round ride, the cold reality is I had absolutely no idea it was going to be anything like this.  The nights are getting very cold and, since trucks aren't allowed to idle all night long, nor does this truck have one of those nifty little power units that provide heat and whatnot, that is adding to my misery.

I could go on, but who really cares?

I had said in my previous post, for those of you that still read this blog and pay attention, that I have nothing to be thankful for or feel blessed about.  That is not entirely true.  There is one person whom I feel thankful to have in my life, and it is a blessing to have her continue to be there despite becoming one of the "cool kids" and I can only hope that she will continue to be there throughout this crazy ride I'm on.

I'm getting too depressed to write anymore.   Maybe another time.

Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. I am hardly one of "the cool kids"... I am more like a sidekick to a sidekick of the cool kids.

    Looking forward to eating some of your yummy homemade stuffing when you come home. And you will come home, even though it seems far away at the moment.

    This, like the shrew, the tin can and The Frozen Tundra will all be but a drawing on a table some day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?