Sunday, June 17, 2012

Running in circles and dodging hailstones

The last time I posted here I mentioned something about "whatever crazy weather we happen to get." Last Wednesday didn't disappoint.

It began about 5:20 or so when I got a text from Ms. Darkstar, who was leaving work in Plano (northwest of where we live) reporting a downpour.  She told me later that the whole time it was pouring with rain, the sun was shining brightly.  Since I was home, having left work early, I checked the radar and saw a few storms working their way towards Dallas.  I didn't think any more of it until it was time to head to the train station.

There were a few rumbles of thunder, and it was just starting to rain when I left.  It got heavier as I headed west, turning the streets to rivers in places.  By the time I got to the train station, the hail started.  It was small at first, maybe dime-sized.  I parked at the (unsheltered) pickup location and waited.

I had the radio tuned to the local news station, and just west of where I was, a couple of field reporters were talking about hail the size of golf balls.  You could hear them hitting their car even as they were talking.  Sure enough, a few minutes later, the barrage started.  It lasted for a good ten to fifteen minutes, and I don't mind telling you that was the most scared I had ever been, in an unsheltered area, with no refuge available, just waiting for it to end and hoping the car windows would remain intact.

By the time the train arrived, the hail had just about ended, tapering off in size and intensity.  We drove home slowly, navigating around the flooded sections of the roads.  There was no rain by the time we got home, and when I looked at the car, I could see lots of little dimples from where the hail had struck.    I was very glad the damage was only cosmetic, and nothing was broken or needed to be fixed.  I think an errant hailstone knocked the fuel door out of whack because Ms. Darkstar said the door didn't open when she first used the lever, but after using it to pop the trunk and then pressing it again, it worked okay.  I'll keep an eye on it.

Apparently, we got off light.  There was lots more damage in an area nearby.  Here's the details.

Work's been a little crazy.  There's lots of jobs coming due over the next few weeks, none of which had a direct impact on me, but it still made things interesting.  The move is complete, so that's one less thing to worry about.  I have no idea how busy I will be this coming week, as usual.

I'm off in a little bit to obtain tonight's dinner.  Last night I made the chocolate mousse for dessert, and now I must go to the Asian market to get a couple of live lobsters.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Glad your damage was only minimal. We have had a long stretch of no rain and high temps of 100 or more. However, in the last couple of days the trend is changing. Our yard has been scorched. Hope work is going well for you. I'm currently out of work now that the job has ended.

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?