Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Getting caught up on catching up

Whenever I get tired, cranky, stressed, busy, or overwhelmed, things like this blog tend to fall by the wayside.  I make no apologies for this; it's just the way I am, and eventually I do return, as I did now, to try to get caught up on what's been going on since my last blog entry.

One of our Tuesday night friends asked me if I was still happy with my job, because I hardly ever talk about it. The answer is yes, I am quite happy working where I am now, knowing I will draw a dependable and consistent salary and be able to go home every night.  I don't talk about it much because there's not much to talk about.  I don't do anything glamorous or exciting; I drive a tractor-trailer and make local deliveries.  Before that, I drove a tractor-trailer and made deliveries across the United States.  I talked about that more because there was usually something interesting that I saw during the day, and sharing it here eased the loneliness of being far from home.

I think I said earlier that the nature of my job was of a "feast or famine" approach as to how busy I could be at any given moment.  Last week was toward the "famine" end, especially during the latter part of the week when there was truly nothing that needed my services.  Instead, I did some minor repairs on the truck (I save those for periods like this because it keeps me occupied legitimately) and puttered around the shop looking for some busywork.

This week, however, has been the polar opposite.  Not only do I have to shuffle a trailer back and forth between two of our buildings (moving and consolidating a department), but I've had a slew of deliveries scheduled for the early part of this week, along with a few pickups, enough that some of the work was given to the other drivers and sent to outside trucking companies.

The downside to this, as hot as it's been, is I don't have time to stop and rest for very long.  If I can get a few minutes at a receiver's dock to just get a quick breather, I consider myself lucky.  We won't discuss keeping myself properly hydrated.  We just won't.

Anyway, it's back at it tomorrow, rain or shine or whatever crazy weather we happen to get.  This is just a quick update, which is about all I have time for right now.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know you are happy with your job as there are alot of folks out there who are not. I've been pretty happy with mine lately as the work is slowing and it's taken me to a very exciting trip in LA. Of to PA next week and I think I will do some resting in the evenings there instead of sight seeing. lol I've got to figure out how to make your blog show in my side list on my blog. I think you show on google reader but I think I have to update something to make you show in my side bar. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?