Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Feast or famine

One of the drawbacks about my job is there's no regularity to how busy we are.  Sometimes there's lots going on and I'm constantly on the move, and other times I'm scrounging for something to occupy my time because, let's face it, there's only so many times I can get away with doing "maintenance" on the trucks.

Last week, I was kept pretty busy, so much so that I missed my usual Tuesday outing because I had to work late.  This week looks to be the opposite, despite the promising start on Monday.  After tomorrow's early delivery, I have absolutely no idea what else I will have to do.

This past weekend was a busy one as well.  On Saturday, I took the car in for it's annual inspection (it passed, hooray), and we went to Sam's Club to renew our memberships.  We did a little bit of shopping, picking up some nice looking baby-back ribs and the sliced mozzarella that I love, which factored in to our dinner plans.

Dinner on Saturday was at one of our favorite Vietnamese places.  The food was good as usual, but the broth we get along with our meal was excessively oily.  Oily as in, it seemed someone dumped a ladleful of oil on top of the broth in an effort to provide more flavor, but only succeeded in making it just ... greasy.

Sunday dinner consisted of the ribs cooked in the slow cooker (recipe courtesy of Robyn and Nance).  I decided to throw caution to the wind and make actual baked potatoes to go with dinner.  All told, I should have started the potatoes earlier, but it all still turned out wonderful.  There's still some ribs left, and I'm contemplating them for afters tonight.

Ms. Darkstar made biscuits for strawberry shortcake to round out the meal, and our weekend was complete.

I usually opt for a simple dinner on Mondays, mainly because I'm all cooked out and I have no idea how tired I'll be by the end of the day.  I opted for vegetarian sliders.  I had these at a little pub in Plano and they were fabulous.  And the simplicity -- a slice of mozzarella, a slice of tomato, on small toasted buns smeared with pesto sauce (I used Classico's) -- nice, quick, and easy, as it should be on a Monday.

I really should update more often, but the well's been pretty dry lately.  More will come when the level rises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?