Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mutual of POSSLQ's Wild Kingdom

It's not often that something happens at work that makes me feel good for the rest of the day, but when  it does happen, it's a doozy.  This is something that could have taken a completely different twist, maybe even had a different ending.  I am glad it turned out the way it did.

This being Ms. Darkstar's day to do her volunteer work with rescued kitties,  I took the bus in to work.  I grab the first bus because there's no issue with making all of my connections, and the buses that I ride are usually fairly empty.  So, I got to work early, and since there was nothing for me to do that early in the morning, I just went to the truck and sat for a little while.

Around 7, I fired up the truck and rolled slowly through the parking area.  As I made the turn from where I was parked, I saw a couple of dark shapes sitting about where my truck tires had been.  I stopped the truck,  set the brake, and went to investigate.  At first, in the early morning light, I thought they were a couple of big toads.  Nope.

It was these.



Three little baby rabbits, the two were closest to the driver's side of the truck, and the single was over by the passenger's side.  I was very glad I let the truck roll straight for a few feet before turning the wheel.  

I approached slowly, the rabbits remaining immobile, eyeing me warily.  I looked them over quickly, talking to them in what I hoped was a reassuring voice.  I snapped a few pictures, and then ... 

I petted each one lightly on the head.  Only the lone rabbit started to hop away, but stopped to watch me a little more.  Other than that, they didn't move or flinch.  It was more to see what kind of reaction I would get or if they would hop to safety in the grass, under the trees.  No one moved.  I took a couple more photos.


I got back in the truck and went to see what work I had waiting for me.  As it turned out I had to come back up to get the other trailer, and when I returned, the rabbits were gone.

And then I saw this:


I would like to think that all of the rabbits made it to safety, although evidence I found leads me to believe at least one of the cute little critters became a hawk snack.  Circle of life, baby.
Sidenote: All the time the hawk was there, and the hawk had moved from its original position when I approached, it was being divebombed by a smaller bird.  I got the above picture in between attacks.  The hawk didn't even appear fazed by what was going on, and when I attempted to get closer to get a better picture, it flew up to a nearby utility pole.

Such ends my little drama for the day.  Work went as usual from that point, but for the whole day, no matter what I was doing, or how dull things seemed, I could tell myself that at least this morning, I got to pet baby bunnies.

And that's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?