Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The calm between storms

I'm sure that most of you that read this blog are curious as to how my big adventure went yesterday.   I awoke early and did another quick check of the weather along my planned route, and figured I could be past the worst of it, so I set off at 6 am.  I managed to make it through mostly rain with a few flakes mixed in around Oklahoma and some freezing rain just inside Colorado, but it was still fairly warm and the roads were wet and not frozen, and I was able to continue on.  I hit a nice patch of dry roads before I got to I-70, and and I was happy that I had made it through before the predicted onset of the worst of the storm.

Unfortunately, once I got onto I-70, I ran into the freezing fog and drizzle.  From what I could see, I was there just as the roads were beginning to freeze, and I saw several accidents along the way, including a jackknifed tractor-trailer.  I kept my speed low and pressed on, mostly since there were no real safe havens along the way, and by the time I got to Denver, the roads were treated and passable.  I fueled and parked for the night, since I had an early delivery.  When I checked my truck over that night, there was about an eighth of an inch of ice on the mirror mounts and on the front of the truck.

I am now sitting in Nebraska, with another early-delivering load which I'm hoping I can deliver on time.  Looks like it's going to be another super-early day, and this time I'm going to see if I can get a proper shutdown to recharge a bit.  And of course, there's another storm due to come through by the end of the week.  I have no idea where I'll be by then, but I have a feeling my winter odyssey has only just begun.

It's time to shut down and get some sleep.  Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?