Sunday, December 18, 2011

The weather outside's about to become frightful

AMARILLO, TX -- I got a load assignment on Saturday afternoon, and picked it up earlier today (Sunday).  The load has to deliver in Colorado on Tuesday.  When I started my trip plan, it looked like I wouldn't have a problem delivering on time.

And then I checked on the weather.

All along my route, and along the alternate route I could take if absolutely necessary, there's blizzard warnings posted.  The snow's supposed to start falling early in the morning, and not let up until Tuesday.

Herein lies my dilemma.  Should I take a chance and leave early in an attempt to get as far as I possibly can before the majority of the snow hits, or just stay where I am and let it pass over me?  I've been analyzing forecasts all along the route and none of them look promising.  There's also not a lot of safe havens along the route, which would make it even more dangerous to travel.

I'm going to try to get some sleep and re-assess things in the morning.  It's about all I can do right now.  Good night.

1 comment:

  1. At this point, getting some sleep and re-analyzing in the morning sounds the best. You can then contact manager-type people if you need further guidance. My gut (not being a professional) would be to try and make it as far as you can before the snowpocalypse. But things may shift overnight, so reassessment is probably a good thing. At least map out a possible stop along the route to ride the storm out.

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?