Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Back and forth, and from out of the blue

I made the Denver load on time from Albuquerque, and boy, was that a long night of driving.  While I was getting unloaded, I was given my next load assignment: head to Kansas and pick up a load going to New Jersey.  They were even helpful enough to tell me that the load was all set and ready to be picked up.  And, had I the hours to do that, I would have been there yesterday, but as it turned out, I had to wait until this morning before I could roll again.  

I am now in south central Kansas, and tomorrow I should be in southeastern Illinois by the time I have to shut down for the day.  Although the load isn't due until Saturday, I should be at the receiver by sometime Friday afternoon.  I have to remember to call them and see if they'll let me park overnight so I can be there for delivery early Saturday morning.  If not, I'll have to adjust my stopping point and find another safe haven to stay the night.

Last month, right around the time I was getting ready to roll out on this current adventure, I had interviewed at a company close to home about a local driving job.  By the time I was ready to leave they still hadn't made any decisions, so with a heavy heart I set off on my journey.  I kinda figured that because I'd be gone for so long they'd choose another candidate and that would be the end of that.  I still sent a very nice thank-you letter (courtesy of my administrative assistant, Ms. Darkstar) and tried to forget about how disappointed I was.

As I was getting close to stopping today, I get a phone call from the company I interviewed at last month.  They wanted me to come in for a second interview.  I told them, quite honestly, that I was very interested in the job but at the moment I was in Kansas heading to New Jersey, and quite possibly would not be able to return to Dallas for at least another couple of weeks.  The gentleman said to keep him advised of my status and to notify them when I was back in the area and could come in for a second interview.

I hung up, and a few minutes later I laughed.  It was about all I could do at that point.  A close-to-home job with a regular, reliable paycheck, and I can't get the process in motion to secure it right now.

On the plus side, this trip will give me the miles I need to be able to complete this phase of my training, and I should be able to finagle my way back home fairly soon.  They've waited this long to make a hiring decision, so I guess it's quite possible that they may be willing to wait a couple more weeks.

Today's picture is part of the birthday present I am getting for Ms. Darkstar, and hopefully I can give it to her fairly soon.  

Have a great rest of the week, and I'll write more when I'm able.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?