Sunday, March 4, 2012

Where was I ... and where am I?

The big problem with playing catch-up with the blog is I get so busy I lose track of time, and can't remember the last time I was able to post something.  Add in the fact that I also lose track of what day of the week it is (all day yesterday I kept thinking it was Sunday), and it makes for an interesting time trying to remember what I last talked about.

The break I was hoping to take was a short one, and after finishing the multi-drop load on the 28th, I got to rest until the morning of the 29th, when I was sent to South Carolina to pick up a load going to Laredo, Texas. The only problem was the load was already a day behind schedule, and there was no way I was going to make it for the delivery date.  So, I ran the load as far as Atlanta, and swapped out with another driver.  I was then given a load out of Columbus, GA, going to Laredo.  And, since this load contained hazardous materials, I had to be extra vigilant in my inspection of the trailer I was given.

It's a good thing I was, because it had one tire that had not only gone bald, but had the steel cords showing.  The registration was gone, meaning I had to call in to the office to get a copy of it faxed to me at the truck stop, and then take the trailer over to a tire shop to get fixed before I could pick up my load.  Which meant I was later than I wanted to be in getting to Columbus, but still on time.

I made it to Laredo without running into any of the nasty weather that was moving through the area I was driving through.  I hit a couple of downpours in Louisiana and some fog through Alabama, but other than that I didn't get hit with anything.

The nice thing about being in Laredo is there's a Wal-Mart that has truck parking.  After dropping my trailer, I headed over there and stocked up on things that I needed, like more food (canned soups, canned pineapple, some meats that don't need refrigeration) and other items like sodas and personal hygiene products.

I got my load early this morning.  I have a stop in Lewisville, Texas before heading to Lebanon, Tennessee, and the final stop is in Elkton, Maryland.  The only major problem I can see is that Maryland and Tennessee are due on the same day, about six hours apart.  Forgetting the time zone change, there's no way I can cover over seven hundred miles in what will amount to three and a half hours by the time I'm done unloading in Tennessee.  I've let the office know about it, and I'll continue to send the running late reports if need be, but as far as I'm concerned, it is officially Not My Problem anymore.


I didn't have a lot of time or opportunity to take pictures this past week or so, but the picture to the left is of the retreating storm clouds in Piedmont, South Carolina.  The picture to the right is sunset in Dallas, Texas, where I'm staying for the night.  It's sad that I'm home, but I can't go home.

Here's hoping for a decent week.

2 comments:

  1. A pox on Verizon. I would have liked to have run out to see you. As I said repeatedly via telephone..."poop"...

    Hoping there is still some small miracle chance we can sneak in a 2 minute meetup in the morning. I've been rather a wreck the past few days so adding a little diesel fuel tears to the ocean would be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lebanon is extremely close to me....you are (were) in my territory! I'm on I -40 twice a day!

    I enjoy your blog posts whenever you make them. Love hearing about the travels, the business, the areas, the weather, even the off time and going to Walmart. All part of it. I get to blog every day but don't get to read every day.

    Be safe and have a great week! Wave when you go through Tennessee. You may have already been through by now. TAke care.

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?