Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Report from two days in

I started the new job on Monday morning.  I was lucky enough to get the old job taken care of on Friday, because it didn't seem like I was going to be able to get everything cleared without a trip back on Saturday, which would have been another example of the utter nonsense I've been dealing with and one of the reasons I was looking for an out.  Being home and not having to spend months on the road was the main concern, but the nonsense was also a contributing factor.

I was fully prepared to spend the better part of the morning filling out the various forms and going through the myriad piles of paperwork that every new hire must wade through.  Instead, I think everything was completed in about thirty minutes, at which time I was introduced to my co-workers and sent out on an assignment.

Yesterday was a very busy and hectic day, owing in the most part to some key personnel being absent, so I managed to rack up a little overtime.  I forgot how sore I get standing up for so long a time, but my legs let me remember vividly with the early-morning leg cramps around two this morning.

Today was a little more relaxed, and the better part of the day was spent going through the company's truck fleet, noting defects and other issues, and if I was able, correcting minor deficiencies as I found them.  Unfortunately, a great majority of the vehicles require some form of maintenance that I cannot provide, along with getting paperwork and inspections up-to-date and accurate.  One truck was sent out today for major repairs to the transmission (I don't care what anyone else tells you, fifth gear is extremely important, especially under a heavy load) and general preventative maintenance.

I don't know how busy tomorrow is shaping up to be for us, but if it's like today, I will be doing more of the same, going through the trucks and trailers with a fine-toothed comb and noting defects that could be costly, both to myself and the company, in the long term and getting them corrected.

I'm really grateful to be able to engage in a little bit of wine therapy tonight, and don't have to cook since we'll order food here.  Tomorrow, I'll be trying something that came about on the spur of the moment and reporting the results to you, good or bad.  The review, that is, not my blog, I already know that's horrid. (joke)

In short, the company is decent, the co-workers are nice, and I am really happy to be a part of their team, along with being able to work locally and be home at night.

Could I have found The One?  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?