Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A nice surprise

As I suspected, I didn't take the load that I picked up in Laredo any further than Lewisville.  When I arrived at that stop, I received a message informing me that yes, there was a mistake in the dates for the rest of the deliveries.  It seems the Tennessee delivery was supposed to be a day earlier, and since there was absolutely no way I was going to make it there, they had another truck ready to take the load the rest of the way.  So, it was back to Dallas to make the trade, and hopefully for me, get time to rest and let my hours of service regenerate a bit.

I met the truck, unhooked from the trailer, and got out of the way.  Not surprisingly, the way the load was set after unloading, and even with my load locks bracing it, the load still tipped.  It was fixed, and I am hoping it was accepted as there was no real damage to the load that I could see, and was somewhat easily restacked.  And, just to make my day complete, I got hit on the head with two cases of broccoli.  Lovely.

Around the time all of this was happening, I received a call from my office.  Since I was close to the yard, and I had a class coming due that I needed to take, and since I lived in town ... would I be willing to return to the yard and take my downtime in the comfort of my home?  This caught me completely off guard, but of course I wasn't going to pass up this opportunity to see home for even a day or two at most.

I got some laundry done, organized some more music to take with me on the road (it's easier to load up an MP3 player than it is trying to find a decent radio station that doesn't annoy me after about fifteen minutes these days), and tonight I'm at a place called The Wine Therapist with Ms. Darkstar.  This is her usual night to hang out with her writer friends, and because I had the car, I was given the choice to tag along.  I agreed, because I had wanted to see this place ever since Ms. Darkstar first talked about it.

No, sadly, I cannot partake of any of the alcoholic offerings, and what a lovely list they have, too.  Instead, I am sipping on a non-alcoholic Pinot Noir soda.  It contains the pinot noir juice concentrate, mixed with sparkling water, and is quite tasty.

Tomorrow, it's back to the truck yard to take that class, see if my truck has been repaired, and find out where in the country I will be enroute to once I get final clearance to leave.  My truck was placed out of service for mechanical repairs, and I'm hoping they actually get fixed this time around, as most of the problems are the same ones that existed the last time I was back in Dallas.

So, that's where things stand in my exciting life.  I will update more when I find out where I'm going, and when I'm able to actually type out an update.  Have a great rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?