Sunday, January 8, 2012

Old (Near) Home Week(end)

Wow ... that was a fun trip.  I picked up a load in Arkansas, bound for Massachusetts.  After breaking down in Tennessee, I finally made it to Connecticut, where I was able to find a wifi signal and get some stuff updated, like this blog.  I know you all missed me.  Go ahead, admit it.

I'm about an hour and a half from anything resembling where I used to live, but it's still weird to be here.  I was born in this state, I lived here for most of my life, I've driven from one end to the other, and yet, being here today, I feel like a tourist.  I still recognize various things, and I can pretty much tell where I am by what exits I pass on I-95.  It's still pretty cool to pass the WWE headquarters in Stamford (between exits 9 and 10, you can see it from the highway), and it'll be interesting to pass through New Haven and Hartford on my way north.

But, I still feel like I really don't belong here.

In a way, I really have no life here anymore.  My life is in Dallas, as is my home and all that I hold dear.  I still have family here, but we were never all that close.  For all that I may want to come back for a vacation and spend some time here just looking around, I couldn't fathom living here again.  Never mind the whole "winter" thing, it just doesn't feel like a place I would want to spend the rest of my life.  About seven years ago, it looked like I might do just that, until events sent me out to the Frozen Tundra, and then down to the south.

Still, it's just for tonight, and tomorrow I'll be on my way back to Massachusetts.  Then, I'll get another load to who-knows-where, and the cycle will continue.  I'm going to see about a shower, and I need to get sleep because tomorrow I start early, if for no other reason than to beat the traffic I remember all too well around Hartford and New Haven.

Some things never change.  Unfortunately.


2 comments:

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?