Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pleasant (hopefully) dreams

It's hard enough for me to get sleep when I'm under a load, mainly because I'm always afraid I'll not hear the alarm and oversleep, missing my appointment time and causing a service failure, which would be a bad thing to have on my record.  Not that I sleep well in the first place, as it's tough to get comfortable, but I'm hoping the pillow I bought ('cuz it was on sale) will help.

So, what I didn't need early this morning was the vivid nightmare I had about work.  Only it wasn't about the work I'm doing now, oh no.  This dream concerned the job I left.  It dealt with the aggravation and frustration I felt, and it really got to me.

Mainly because most of the frustrations are almost the exact same ones I'm going through on this job.

It seems strange to me how my current woes are manifesting themselves in what I left behind, and are projecting that instead of keeping things in the here and now.  Granted, I'm no psychiatrist, but if I were, I'd prescribe myself a lovely regimen of antidepressants and bill myself an obscene fee.

Most of my concerns are the same concerns most people have about their jobs, so it's nothing new or different, and I don't know why I am choosing to obsess over this in my dreams.  Maybe it's the anxiety of always having to meet new challenges every time I get dispatched -- different shippers and receivers, traveling over unfamiliar roads far from any comfort of home, the pressure of making an effort to be on time -- that could be sparking this.

All I know is, I'm doing okay out here as far as I'm concerned because no one's called to complain about how I'm doing things.  It's the old "no news is good news" thing, and it seems to be working well for me.  In a couple of weeks or so I'll be able to go home and de-stress for a bit, before starting all over again.

But, for now, I will attempt to get some decent sleep tonight.  I deliver early in the morning, and I have no idea what plans they have for me back at the home terminal.

Pleasant dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Hope the new pillow helps. Perhaps you can't sleep because you have no bitey thing hovering around waiting to pounce your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dream about work starting from about 4am until I wake up around 5. I think it's what wakes me up. I look forward to the first 4 or 5 hours of sleep, simply because I don't dream (or don't remember them).

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?