Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Changing seasons, changing moods

Today was a terrific day, weatherwise.  The sun was shining, and it warmed up nicely.  By the time I parked, I'm sure the temperature was in the upper 70s, maybe even the low 80s.  I saw greening along the sides of the road, and landscapers out mowing the grass at a few local businesses.

Not bad for the end of February.

This was the main reason I moved to Texas in the first place.   I spent enough of my life in places that had actual winter that I had really reached the point of not being able to withstand another spell of freezing cold and snow.  Worse yet, my travels had brought me to the Upper Midwest, which has even more winter than I had ever experienced.  

With the job I have now, I've had to venture into areas of the country that are still having winter.  I consider myself lucky that my experiences with winter haven't been too horrible thus far, and we're in the waning days of the season.  The daylight hours are growing longer and eventually the threat of snow will cease for a little while anyway.

It was warm days like this that fueled a wanderlust when I was younger.  Usually, at the first signs of warm weather, I would hop in the car and take an aimless ride, windows down if it was warm enough for that, just enjoying the return of warmer weather after the onslaught of bitter cold and icy roads.  I would just pick a road and follow it, turning whenever I felt the urge to do so, until eventually I would turn toward home, just glad to be able to be out and revel in the return of more temperate weather.

Today, I didn't feel that.  I haven't felt that for quite a while, actually.  Maybe it's the advancing age, maybe it's the fact that I spend most of my time on the road anyway, there was just no thrill to the springlike feel to the day.  In fact, I felt a little melancholy at times, not really sure of the cause.

I'll still be glad when winter is over completely, everywhere, and I no longer have to worry about icy highways, snowy mountain passes, or the threat of dropping temperatures.  I've always said I can cool down quicker than I can warm up.  With the air conditioning running in The Cave (my cutesy nickname for the sleeper compartment of the truck), I'm keeping quite cool and comfortable.  I plan to enjoy the weather as long as I'm able, because before I know it, I could be back in the northern part of the country where winter still maintains it's icy grip.

Let's all hope it won't hold on too much longer.

1 comment:

  1. It was truly a wonderful day here in the mid 70's. Lovely for February. However, people don't realize it, but we usually always have ONE DAY at least in Feb where it is at least 68 or higher. I've followed weather for a long time. lol Since 7th grade actually!

    I think we are all SO READY for spring. We are probably all Vitamin D efficient and that makes us all wonder why we feel blahhhhh. lol

    Have a great weekend ahead. I'm almost through with my week in HR and looking forward to the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?