Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Working from sun to sun

My day started in Phoenix, right around sunrise, when I went to fetch my load.  I was pleasantly surprised to find it all ready, so all I had to do is hook up, weigh out to make sure everything was legal (needed a minor correction but overall was fine), and down the highway I went.  I missed the bulk of Phoenix traffic leaving when I did, fortunately, and made good time to my fuel stop in Willcox, and from there I headed to my stopping point in Van Horn, TX.

I wasn't sure if I would be able to grab a decent picture when I stopped this evening, so I took this one before I left Willcox.  You may have noticed that I like taking pictures of the mountains when I'm in that area of the country.  Maybe it's just me, but there's just something about seeing them rise up over the landscape, watching the sun rise and set over them, I just find it awe-inspiring.  And, the different lighting angles at times produce amazing colors on the rocks.

Timewise, I was cutting it close getting to Van Horn, but this was the only place I could stop that had a) actual facilities like restrooms and a place to grab some food and other supplies, and b) anything else would have been too far away to be of any use in saving as much time prior to departure, so after making sure I would be legal on my times, I rolled, just catching the beginnings of El Paso traffic as I was leaving the city (yay for my planning [yes I planned it, don't be silly]), and got parked just as the sun was beginning to set.

Tomorrow should be an easier day, as I can stop a short distance from my receiver and rest up, preparing to roll early in the morning from wherever it is I decide to camp.  There's some places nearby, but before I say for sure where I will be, I want to do some more research.  Luckily, I can do that at my fuel stop, and if worse comes to worse, I just stay where I fuel.  No big loss either way.

Also, because I know you all might be getting tired of the landscapes, and because I've been reading blogs about other people's cats, here's a photo I shot last night at the truck stop in Phoenix.  I don't know where this cat came from, but it seemed to have the right attitude for hanging out at a truck stop.  I watched as some of the truckers and other customers tried to gt the cat to come over to them, but each time kitty side-stepped and moved back to a more secure location.  Pretty cat, though, and I wonder if it lived nearby or was truly a stray.  Looks a little too healthy to be a stray, I think.

Tomorrow, up bright and early yet again to roll to my next stopping point, and delivery on Thursday morning.  Depending on where I end up, I may be able to blog, so I guess we'll see what happens, or even if I have anything to write about.

Have a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?