Saturday, February 11, 2012

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels

I know, I tend to use a lot of song lyrics.  Do you know why? Because they fit.  Thank you.

So, as you can probably guess, The One Shot ... shot down.  It's not so much the "why" of it all, but more of the "how" that has me in a mood.  Pull up a seat and I shall explain.

I interviewed with this place on Monday afternoon.  I thought things were going fairly well, and I told them flat out that I was due to report back on Thursday to begin another stretch.  I was told by them that they would have an answer for me before then, on Wednesday.  That was fine by me, we shook hands and off I went.

Wednesday rolled around, and I had received no word.  I figured they were busy (small office, ya know) so I waited until later in the afternoon to call them.  I got what was best termed a "non-answer."  It went along the lines of they were very busy, they would be interviewing for the rest of the week, how long would I be gone for, yadda yadda evade doubletalk tapdance yadda.  I thanked them for the update and resigned myself to yet another fun-filled trek across this great country of ours.

Deep down, I was hoping for an eleventh-hour reprieve, as was Ms. Darkstar.  I was fortunate that I could not leave the yard until Friday afternoon at best, so that day was spent getting done what I needed to be allowed to leave the yard and hoping, praying, and almost begging for the phone call.

It never came.

So here I am in Oklahoma, headed into Colorado, with lots of funtime weather ahead of me.  When I received this assignnment, I did not take it very well.  After about fifteen minutes, I collected myself and got things moving again.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, and I'd be lying even harder if I said that what they did really didn't matter to me all that much, because it should have been obvious from Wednesday's phone call that I was not the one to be chosen.  Although, how hard would it have been to say right then that I wasn't the candidate they were going to hire, in which case I wouldn't have had my hopes raised as high as they were. 

I've also learned that I should wait a few days before listening to music the next time I set out (gods help me), because it gets real tough to see the road ahead with blurry, tear-obscured vision.

And the journey begins anew.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why, after all of the time I've spent dealing with Corporate America, the lack of honesty and integrity still shocks me, but it does.

    Why they couldn't just be forthcoming on Wednesday is beyond me. And on the supposition that they wanted to keep their options open even though they didn't think they were going to hire you, it was still pretty slimey of them to give you a non-answer.

    I know it's simply sour grapes to say that if that's how they treat people, maybe you didn't want to work for them anyways, but sheesh, I guess my penchant for honesty is why I'm not management material.

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?