Wednesday, April 3, 2019

A to Z Blogging Challenge – C is for Cooking


I’ve had an interest in cooking ever since I saw my first cooking show on television. From that point on, I would watch as many cooking shows as I was able to, and as one of my elective achievements in Cub Scouts, I chose the cooking one and cooked my very first meal – tacos. And when I say ‘cooked,’ I mean not from a kit, but an actual recipe. They turned out pretty good, as I recall. From then on, my fate was sealed.

I went to a vocational-technical high school, which offered as one of the trades a culinary arts course. Over the three and a quarter years in that course, I learned both institutional cooking, short-order cooking, bread and pastry making, how to prepare soups, sauces, stocks, and a variety of other things. There are times now that I wish I had paid more attention in school, as I feel I could have learned a lot more.

My foray into the world of professional cooking was short, to everyone’s relief. I learned quickly that a busy restaurant kitchen isn’t the place for me.

Today, I cook more for MsDarkstar, mostly because it’s something I still enjoy doing. My sills aren’t the best, but I can follow a recipe without mucking it up too bad, and she still claims my food is quite damn tasty. I’ve done more reading and study on my own in regard to cooking, and I’ve read things that I wish were available to high-school me as they would have been a boon to helping me maybe actually make a career out of it.

2 comments:

  1. At least when you cook, we don't have to have the fire dept. on alert like we do when I cook.

    Also...omnomnom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the cooking education is working out well for both of you! My only cooking lessons came from opening cans for my mom when she made chili or sloppy joes. Now, on to "D".
    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?