Friday, April 12, 2019

A to Z Challenge - K is for Kolaches


Today’s the day I begin my preparations for the oh-so-much-fun procedure known as a colonoscopy, and because of this, all day today I can have nothing but clear liquids (and Jell-O®) and count it as food.

Which is making that bag of shredded cheese in the fridge look reeeeeeeally good right about now.

So, since I’m not allowed to eat anything that resembles actual food (even more so than usual, but that’s a different entry), I’m going to sit and blog about it, specifically the kolaches as mentioned in the title.

I’d never heard of these until I moved to Texas, and then I noticed that they were EVERYWHERE. The most common variety I’ve encountered are the ones stuffed with little sausages, although the more ‘traditional’ ones are filled with fruits or jams.

Our terminal manager would bring in a box of them whenever we had to have a safety meeting in the mornings, and I learned real quick to be careful because those things were delicious, and I could easily have eaten the entire box in one sitting.

I'm also thinking it was a bad idea to write about food, not being able to have any, so I suppose I’ll go console myself with a bowl of Jell-O® and dream about tastier times.

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea what kolaches are - I would stick with the Jell-O lol
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't have the pleasure of eating kolaches baked by your Bohemian grandmothers as a child. Of course, served with the obligatory dollop of whipped cream on top.
    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/
    (AtoZ Theme: very short stories/various genres)
    K is for: Kolaches with Birds and Bees

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?