Saturday, April 20, 2019

A to Z Challenge – R is for Routine


Some may call it being stuck in a rut, I call it following a routine. By performing tasks in a set order, every time, I find there’s less chance for me to forget an important step. I find this especially important now that there are times I tend to not recall if I did something or remembered to take something important.

Setting a routine also helps me gauge where we are in terms of the workday, and whether we’re ahead of things or falling behind. Based on what time it is and what task I’m currently performing, I can see where potential delays are about to occur, or even if we can advance to another task and try to get things done early.

I even arrange my work area in a certain fashion so I know where everything is and I know what has and hasn’t been finished. Some may know the term mise en place – a term used in cooking to mean having everything you need, from tools to cookware to ingredients and garnishes, prepped and ready to be put together with a minimum of guesswork, if any. I’ve adapted this to my work, keeping things in a certain place and order, minimizing clutter and allowing me to focus on the tasks at hand.

Do I get thrown out of whack when my routine is disrupted? Sometimes, but I can recover fairly quickly simply by getting my system back in place and stepping back into the routine. It may take me a moment to gather my thoughts, but once I do, it’s all good.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I love my routines. I enjoy shaking them up every now and then, but after a day or two off-routine, I'm always happy to be reminded that there is a reason I do things the way I do.
    Found you through AtoZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes: mise en place! This is important for both remembrance and efficiency.

    Mechanical tradesmen often use the term "put pattern" which essentially means the same thing. If you're well organized, you can get the job done! :)

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?