Tuesday, April 16, 2019

A to Z Challenge – N is for Negative


A lot of people seem to think I have a somewhat negative attitude toward life in general, but this is actually quite far from the truth. I have a fairly positive outlook, to be honest. In fact, I’m usually quite positive that something is going to happen that’s going to completely wreck my day. This serves me well in two ways. First, if such an event does happen, I’m not completely blindsided by it and can usually cope with the fallout and aftermath easier, and if the reverse is true, then I’m quite relieved that things are continuing to go well. It’s win-win.

Sometimes, being negative isn’t all that horrible. Think about the times where being negative was actually a good thing, in the case of lab tests or biopsies. People are usually overjoyed when they find out that a test for a certain something came back negative, especially when the test was to confirm something they didn’t particularly want in the first place.

Look at it this way: you keep a positive outlook about a certain something you want to happen in your life. You’re completely stoked about it, all signs are pointing to yes, this is going to be your moment in the sun, your moment of glory … and then it crashes and burns around you. Now how do you feel? Pretty depressed, crushed, almost defeated? Well, keeping a slight hint of negativity to balance out the euphoric state of positivity won’t make the low seem so bad, softens the blow a bit and helps you shrug it off and move to the next thing, and could even elevate the elation if the thing does indeed come to pass.

I’m not espousing nihilism, or cynicism … okay, maybe a little bit of cynicism, but only to maintain the checks and balances that keep our world functioning. Mix a little Wednesday Addams with Pollyanna and your life might even seem a bit better for it.

Of that I’m positive … but I could be wrong.

2 comments:

  1. So, is that why you like me? I'm Wednesday Addams with a glimmer of Pollyanna?

    ReplyDelete

So, now that you know my thoughts, what are yours?